Friday, August 28, 2009

1 2 3, what are we fighting for?

Well tomorrow the car goes pretty much around the corner to where the hoist and Subaru graveyard is. Hopefully it shouldn't take too long to rebuild the motor, but we'll see. I have an inkling that my issue may be related to timing. I never quite got around to checking to see if the timing was being retarded on boost, which would indicate an over sensitive or broken knock sensor. Will be testing this when the motor is back together.



Since then I've been driving round in a fucking hektik stock auto lancer as pictured above. It is kind of relaxing driving an auto that is quiet, doesn't get me pulled over, that doesn't explode or give me any grief. It even has a matching best of the 60s and 70s soundtrack featuring Country Joe McDonald and everybody else who is great. Most of it like The Doors, The Beatles, Beach Boys etc are the same tracks I remember from my childhood. Long drives with the old man to various places in the heap of shit Jag, was great times.



70s series two XJ6, leaks oil from the factory and has a wiring loom that was built by an apprentice every time. My old man used to have another one, poo brown, with a 350 chev conversion. It went well, sounded great, and looked the part. I think that a lot of my randomness with cars came from him. This is mainly due to the fact that when he decided to work on roofs, he strapped some roof racks to it and a couple ladders. Everybody around town knew the car and my old man, it was infamous. With the new white one, it got a 383 stroker, custom injection, haltech, massive cam etc. Went like a bat out of hell until the distributor gear grinded out and it sat in the driveway rusting away. There are a lot of great memories from that car, such as being driven to my formal. Which was fun in itself as I went in a kilt. The best memory other then that was me taking the keys one wonderful summer afternoon and taking it for a spin around the block while he was away. I almost shat myself and never drove it again. I think it is a right of passage for most young kids, but good lord it was good fun.



While the Legacy is in the shop I have a lot to think about. The smart thing to do would be to buy a Gen4 with a H6, extactors, intake, exhaust and chip it and switch into old man mode. Unfortunately being a random thanks to my old man, I really want to go RWD, 2 way and turn it into another drift car. It has been done a few times, but not very often. With Subarus, I'm often inspired by the Americans who surprisingly do them right very often.



It isn't so hard to do, and I miss a lot of the shit I used to do in the S13. The list would extend to a few simple points;

* RWD Center diff
* Remove front drive shafts
* Tie rod spacers (read: washers)
* 2 way Diff
* R180 rear end with Brembos and good diff casing / mounts

The other major consideration is the way I want the fucker to look. I've always been a fan of Bombex and Trust kits, which is why I ran a Bombex lip on the S13 and then a Trust front bar. It seems that it is fairly easy to mod either GC8 (First gen WRX) or R32 Skyline bars are fairly easy to to modify to fit, so a R32 GTR front and GC8 skirts and rear seems to be a good option.



Above is my inspiration, which is surprisingly enough an American car. We'll see what happens hey kiddos.

No comments:

Post a Comment