Monday, August 17, 2009

Twice a year

Hunker down with your popcorn and over priced sweets, its story time kiddos.

Last weekend made for some good times, with the new intercooler and VF24 it was time to take the bitch off the leash. This involved a good drive out and some rallying, with the obligatory bbq. While the car was feeling great, I still wasn't making any boost. Unfortunately being with a few sooks and a few idiots like myself I got stuck in the middle of the pack. The guys behind me got a good view of me getting it airbourne along Corin road to their credit though.



While I got a good run in and we had some fun on the dirt, like with all cursed Subarus something went wrong. I'm not sure if my car was assembled in the depths of hell or on an aircraft carrier in the Bermuda Triangle, but the fucker is cursed like a little girl in a horror movie. Somewhere in the "red ring" the water hose to the IACV decided that it was a good time to split and belch coolant slowly along the road. Of course as the temp guage didnt go too far up with the flogging I didn't notice it until it had enough time to dump all its coolant and pump air through the whole thing.

With some hero work I got the hose back cut and back on, and got the system refilled. Here is where it gets better, while out rallying, as always, I did a nice little job on the rear quarter including the tail light. While this kinda thing normally doesn't bother me, just up the main road was my old friends.


This of course meant the most direct and not up hills route was blocked. With a broken tail light, filthy car and a rather noticeable bright red racing harness and pearl white steering wheel I didn't want to tempt fate. So a five minute trip home turned into twenty, inculding all the breaks to let the car cool down. While I imagined it was something like the Great Escape, I'm sure everybody just though I was retarded. It was obviously the head gasket as it would heat up quick, and cool down quick once the car was off. Thank you Subaru for giving the world only three and a half poofteenths between the water jacket and cylinder on your open deck blocks. Good move.


So all in all, body work is mainly finished and another "JDM AS FUCK" tail light is en route, along with another fucking headgasket. Will be checking out the headers and up pipe while its out just in case that was the cause of the low boost issue, and maybe a V3 STI head if I can find the dosh.

In happier news, I've rediscovered the joys of cooking pizza and drinking beer. No actually I never forgot about that. And to take us home here is a happy picture of me leaving an UP-GARAGE with some sweet loot while in WAPAN.


No comments:

Post a Comment