Sunday, August 2, 2009

Like a fat kid needs cake, a turbocharged car needs boost.

After spending much of this weekend working on the Subaru, I've come to the solid conclusion that this car was built by the devil. I actually found a book about it.

While that may or may not be true, it is beginning to live up to the Subaru curse. After installing a new motor and various other items such as a new TD-05H turbo the car wouldn't make anymore then 0.5 BAR. Which is really, really not enough. This weekend we installed a twist mounted VF24 off an STI, along with a front mount intercooler. This actually all went well, much like Germany invading Poland. But all was not well when it came to the test drive.



THE CAR STILL ONLY MAKES 0.5 BAR. HALF A FUCKING BAR? WHO WANTS HALF A BAR OF ANYTHING? HALF A MARS BAR? HALF A BAR OF SOAP? NO! NONONONO! NO!

I had initially assumed that the TD-05H was baloney and that was that. But the new VF24 was doing the exact same thing, no boost at all. After running the wastegate actuator to atmosphere I was out of ideas as everything else was as it should be. On the upside, the intercooler looks like it was supposed to be there and it does its job very well.


From here the only two things that I think it could be are;

1. Blocked exhaust
2. AFM on the fritz(l)

It is more then likely number one, so sometime this week I will try to bash it out the motivator (crowbar). After that I will actually get some boost and all should be well in the world, as long as that boost gets me somewhere near a cake.

We had a BBQ today for my birthday the other day which was pretty good. It surprises me that not many people wanted or liked prawns? I thought it was incredibly "UNAUSTRALIAN" just like punching a Koala or feeding your baby to the local wildlife. Might just be me. I got quite a few good little bits and pieces, and I'll leave you with this.


1 comment: